Blog Archive

"Life is not measured by how many breaths we take, but by how many moments that take our breath away."

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I'm an Okie native, but currently an Arkansan. Newlywed. Hairstylist. Lover of all things creative. Pinterest and blog addict. Wanna-be photographer and wedding planner. Jesus follower. I love meeting new people and I'd love for you to stay a while, read a lot, and follow along. I love discovering new blogs so leave me a comment and I'm thrilled you're here!

Followers

Powered by Blogger.


Monday, June 29, 2015

What I've Learned in Our Second Year of Marriage!

 
Warning: this is another sappy anniversary post.

Today Aaron and I are celebrating our second year of marriage. It's so crazy to think that it's already been two years.....two of the very best years! Our second year of marriage has been just as wonderful as the first year of marriage, but they were both very different years.

Here's what I learned in our second year of marriage:

#1. If you can survive moving three times in the first two years of marriage, then you can survive anything! Not only have we moved three times, we've also lived in three different towns and between the two of us have had five different jobs. That's a lot of change and adjustment in just two years, but I wouldn't have wanted to go through it with anyone other than Aaron.

#2. When you move into a tiny love shack in the middle of 10,000 acres, you learn a lot about personal space, no privacy, relaxation, and being humble...and you make a lot of new memories that you will remember for a lifetime. There was no such thing as going into the other room to gather your thoughts/collect yourself/have some privacy because it was all basically one big room and it was really hard to avoid each other (which was a really good thing). We learned a lot in our marriage from living in the love shack. We learned that no matter what kind of house we live in, big or small, new or old, cute or ugly, all that matters is who lives within those walls and that whenever I'm with Aaron, I'm home.

#3. When you move closer to friends and family, it is a ton of fun, but it is a lot harder to balance each other's schedules and planning/communication is key. When we lived in Mammoth we basically went everywhere together and did everything together (we never really had to use a calendar or write each other's schedules down).  Since living closer to family and friends, there have been numerous times where Aaron had to go one place for the weekend and I had plans to be somewhere else. We have had to sit down and do a lot more planning to make sure we aren't supposed to be two places at once. We have learned that we are both really bad at telling friends and family no so we sometimes have too much on our plate.

#4.  Aaron is the most supportive husband. He challenges me and encourages me to do things out of my comfort zone. When I had a job that I wasn't happy with, he was so supportive and encouraged me to do something that I loved no matter how much money it made. He supported my decision to quit and he never nagged me the entire two months I was unemployed. When I discussed maybe branching out and doing only photography, or creating an Etsy shop, or opening up a hair salon, he supported all those ideas and was willing to support us both if that was my dream.

#5.  I'm so glad that I married a man that is laid back, goofy, funny, and very rarely serious. These are definitely my most favorite qualities about Aaron. He always knows how to make me laugh when I'm in a bad mood, he never stays mad longer than 30 minutes, and he knows how to go with the flow. He cancels me out and helps me relax and lighten up a lot! He is very hard to stay mad at. This might sound really weird but most of the time when I'm mad at Aaron, he does something goofy or funny and it reminds me of what Aaron must have been like when he was a toddler and I can't help but laugh and think it's cute and then I can't be mad at him anymore.
See what I mean....not every guy would do this for a Christmas card.


#6. Aaron's biggest pet peeve about me is when I nag while he is helping me clean. You know when your mom used to give you chores and you did them and then she came behind you and said "you missed a spot right there" or "you know you have to mop after you sweep" or "that's not how I fold the towels".....then it made you want to stop helping and tell her to do it herself.....yeah that's me to a T and it drives Aaron absolutely nuts. The majority of our arguments happen because of this. It's something I really need to work on.

#7.  The Art of Marriage is a really good thing to live by and read on the regular, therefore it is on a magnet on our refrigerator and we see it everyday, multiple times a day.
The Art of Marriage
"A good marriage must be created. In marriage, the little things are the big things. It is never being too old to hold hands. It is remembering to say I love you at the end of each day. It is never going to bed angry. It is speaking words of appreciation and demonstrating gratitude in thoughtful ways. It is having the capacity to forgive and forget. It is giving each other a safe place in which to grow. It is not only marrying the right person, it is being the right partner."

#8. You never imagine on your wedding day that you can love your partner any more than you already do, but it really is true that as each day passes your love for your spouse grows even more. Every challenge, tragedy, and great/exciting time or experience that you go through makes you that much more in tune and in love with your spouse.
This is one of my favorite wedding pictures because it always reminds me of the pure joy and excitement I had to marry and spend the rest of my life with Aaron. He still knows how to put a smile on my face.

This year we are celebrating our anniversary with a date night in. I plan on having a candle lit dinner waiting on Aaron when he gets home from work (today is my day off so I'm going to surprise him). Our date night will probably also include some Bachelorette watching and maybe a movie pallet on the floor...nothing too fancy and exciting, but our idea of a good time.  Of course we will also include our anniversary traditions of:
- watching our wedding video
- dancing to our first dance song
- taking an annual anniversary picture similar to a wedding picture and putting it in a photo album

                                                                 
 Happy 2nd Anniversary, Aaron! Here's to many many more anniversaries together. I'm so excited to see what our 3rd year of marriage holds for us. I know it will be nothing short of an adventure and I'm so excited to see where the journey takes us. Love you the mostest ever!

No comments:

Post a Comment