Blog Archive

"Life is not measured by how many breaths we take, but by how many moments that take our breath away."

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I'm an Okie native, but currently an Arkansan. Newlywed. Hairstylist. Lover of all things creative. Pinterest and blog addict. Wanna-be photographer and wedding planner. Jesus follower. I love meeting new people and I'd love for you to stay a while, read a lot, and follow along. I love discovering new blogs so leave me a comment and I'm thrilled you're here!

Followers

Powered by Blogger.


Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Before & After- A Bathroom Shelf




I can finally say that I have successfully tried Annie Sloan Chalk Paint......and I am now a firm believer in it. I have been curious about the paint for a long time, ever since I saw it all over the blog world and Pinterest. I held off trying it for so long because it was so expensive and I didn't want to spend that much on paint and not know how to properly use it. I found a darling boutique within 20 miles of my house last week and I heard they sold Annie Sloan so I had to go check them out. I talked to the lady that worked there for 15 minutes about how it works. She showed me different projects she had done with it and gave me some ideas. I ended up leaving there with a can of paint in the color Arles and a can of clear wax. It was not cheap and I immediately regretted my decision. Since I spent so much on it, I decided to do a ton of research first. I read blog after blog and finally felt secure enough to test it out.

source:http://emilyaclark.blogspot.com/2012/05/our-yellow-door-and-annie-sloan-chalk.html
 
I was told that this paint required no sanding, priming, stripping, etc. and it could pretty much cover any surface in 1-2 coats. I painted a shelf that looked like wood, but it was actually that fake plastic wood. I was worried how it would cover and work on that type of surface. I'll be honest, I did have to use 4 coats of paint, but I did not do any prep work and that was worth it to me! It dries super fast so I did two coats back to back and then did the other two coats the following day. After all the painting was done, I let that sit for about an hour and then I went over it with the clear wax. After the clear wax, I distressed it with 100 grit sandpaper. Then, I went over it again with another coat of wax. Sounds like a lot of work, but it was really easy. It did take a few days though. I am super impressed with the way it turned out. You cannot tell that the shelf isn't made of real wood and it has a smooth, finished feel to it.
 
I only used about 1/4 of my can of paint so I will get a lot for my money. I also used only a tiny bit of the wax. A little goes a looooonnnngggg way. Now I want to get every color of Annie Sloan Chalk Paint and go to town on every unfinished piece of furniture in my house.
 
I bought the shelf at a friend's garage sale a few years back. Thanks Lydia for having a fabulous garage sale and providing me with furniture for my house!
Here it is before:
 
 And after:
 I got the apothecary jars from TJMAXX for $5.99 a piece. I'm trying to find two more baskets that match the one on the middle shelf to put the toilet paper in.
 You can kind of see the distressing that I did on the ends of the shelf and the legs.
This shelf is great because we don't have a lot of storage space in our bathroom so it is very functional and it adds a pop of color! I have a few more things left to put on the walls and then I'll share the entire bathroom re-do.
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment